NEVADA GREYHOUNDS UNLIMITED
Please read this before filling out your application!
Adopting a greyhound is a lifetime commitment. The greyhound can be expected to live in excess of 12 years. To ensure the safety and health of the greyhound, the following “Adoption Requirements” must be complied with explicitly. Please do not consider adoption if you will not be able to meet this lifetime commitment or adhere to these requirements. Please also consider the financial responsibility in adopting a greyhound – this responsibility does not end with the adoption fee of $300.00. While greyhounds tend to be a healthy breed, there are veterinary costs associated with caring for any dog.
- It is vital to keep your greyhound on a leash whenever it is outdoors, unless it is in a fenced-in area. NEVER “trust” it not to run away. This greyhound has been trained since birth to do what it was born to do, which is to hunt.
- You MUST agree to keep a collar bearing identification on you greyhound at all times. If your greyhound gets loose this may be the only thing to save its life.
- . If your greyhound should become lost, you are required to notify Nevada Greyhounds Unlimited immediately. We can form a search party to help find your greyhound.
- If you should ever decide you cannot keep or do not want your greyhound, you must notify Nevada Greyhounds Unlimited before taking any action. You may not give your greyhound to anyone else without Nevada Greyhounds Unlimited consent and you must agree NEVER to take it to the “pound” or other humane shelter.
- You must agree to keep your greyhound as a pet and never attempt to use it for pari-mutuel racing or laboratory research.
- Nevada Greyhounds Unlimited will make sure that the following medical procedures have been performed on your greyhound before you receive it: DHLPP, Rabies, Bordatella and Corona vaccinations; spay or neuter; Heartworm testing; teeth cleaning, polishing and any needed extractions; and worming. Your responsibilities will include maintaining regular vaccinations and veterinary care whenever they are required and a fecal exam within thirty days of adoption.
- Your greyhound’s racing career is over and can NEVER be reactivated.
- Nevada Greyhounds Unlimited is a nonprofit, entirely volunteer-run organization funded primarily by donations. There are many expenses associated with the rescue and placement of each greyhound. A minimum donation of $100.00 is requested at the time of adoption, as well as an additional $200.00 which helps to cover the costs of the medical procedures described in #6. Your adoption donation and medical fee total $300.00. Your greyhound will be provided with a greyhound safety collar and matching lead at no charge. The adoption donation and additional fee for medical procedures are non-refundable.
- Greyhounds by nature are very friendly, affectionate and intelligent dogs who thrive on love and attention. Greyhounds do not make good watchdogs. Their friendly nature is not really threatening. Nevada Greyhounds Unlimited adopt out greyhounds with the understanding that the dogs will be house pets only. These animals do not have any body fat or enough fur to keep them warm in the winter or cool in the summer.
Are you in complete agreement with the items on this page? If so, please proceed to application: Greyhound Adoption Application